If you're on the verge of making that all-important new commercial van purchase, then we have some data to share and possibly assist you with deciding which particular make and model to purchase. Knowing what the best-selling vans were in the past year is not only interesting, but can reveal which makes and models have the features that attract buyers like you. Possibly what your competitors are driving.
2020 was a strange year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Some van owners in the general delivery sector saw a spike in business as consumers were forced to greater online purchases due to lockdowns. Some businesses pivoted to doing their own deliveries and that in many cases that meant the purchase of a new van.
But how did the COVID-19 scenario actually play out in the sales data? We reveal the stats and the top six best-selling vans for 2020 based on industry sources.
2020 Sales Data
The sales data reveals some stark contrasts. Overall the 2020 light duty van segment sales were down 1.2% on the 2019 figures. But in December there was a significant uplift of 15.5% compared with sales in the category in the same month in 2019. This may reflect business confidence as the economy generally showed good signs of recovery and consumer confidence figures towards the end of the 2020 were also on the rise. Online sales in particular were on the increase and the light commercial van can be an ideal vehicle for general urban deliveries for many retailers.
Top Sellers for 2020
Now let’s drill down into the stats for the individual makes with the top rankings.
- Mercedes-Benz came in at top seller overall for 2020 again, with the Sprinter model. But despite selling the most units overall, their sales numbers were down just over 20% compared with their 20219 sales.
- Renault came in at second place with the Master clearly showing its popularity. Not only did the brand finish in an impressive position it also showed nearly a 10% increase on its overall sales compared with 2019.
- Volkswagen with its new Crafter jumped into third position overall and what an impressive showing. A third place but with a 51.2% increase in sales numbers over their 2019 results. The largest percentage increase in the top 6 makes. Yes, could be worth checking out the features of the VW Crafter to find out why there has been such an increase in demand for this vehicle.
- Ford Transit was relegated to fourth as a result of the VW Crafter’s sales growth. While down a slot based on 2019 rankings, the Transit also posted an impressive growth in sales. Up 23.3% in total of 2020 sales compared with 2019. Clearly still a favourite with buyers in the classic humble van stakes.
- Fiat was in fifth place overall in units sold but on a totally different sales trajectory compared with the two makes above it in the rankings. Compared with 2019, Fiat had a 28% drop in units sold for 2020.
- IVECO rounded out the top 6 selling van makes but with an 11% drop in sales compared with their 2019 performance. IVECO dominated again in the truck categories and took out overall top spot when all truck categories are accounted for. But their dominance in the light segment is not so impressive.
Securing a Top Selling Van
In addition to the top 6 sellers, the light commercial van market has many other great makes and models which could be worth adding to your consideration list.
For starters, check out:
Most manufacturer websites advertise guide pricing which offers a great starting point for buyers to compare both features and price across multiple makes and models. Jade Car Loans then steps in with the added assist – our best business car finance calculator. This handy self-serve device allows you to convert the manufacturer’s pricing into possible estimate repayments on your Jade car finance.
The calculator can be used to estimate repayments for car loans for sole traders, Leasing and CHP finance. The device has the option to include a balloon/residual loan component to plan how you might like to structure your finance. The interest rate on each finance product varies so refer to our interest rate chart or give us a quick call for our current low interest rates for commercial van loans.
We offer no deposit finance across our loan portfolio so you can include 100% of the purchase price plus dealer charges and on road costs in your finance package.
Prior to heading into a dealership, speak with Jade about a pre-approved business car loan deal. By having your loan organised and confirmed, you can expedite the purchase process and be on the road and working in your new van faster.
To discuss finance on a new commercial van, contact Jade Car Loans 1300 000 003
DISCLAIMER: THE DATA, POLICIES, INFORMATION, CONTENT AND REFERENCES AS PRESENTED IN THIS ARTICLE ARE FOR GENERAL PURPOSES ONLY, ARE SOURCED FROM RELIABLE SOURCES BUT NO LIABILITY IS ACCEPTED SHOULD THERE BE ERRORS OR MISREPRESENTATIONS OF DETAILS IN THE CONTENT. THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED AS THE SOLE PURPOSE OF MAKING FINANCIAL DECISIONS. READERS SHOULD REFER TO A FINANCIAL ADVISOR OR ACCOUNTANT IN THE EVENT THAT THEY REQUIRE PROFESSIONAL GUIDANCE AND CONSULTATION ON THEIR INDIVIDUAL FINANCIAL POSITION.